Beagle dog Breed History, Traits, Health Care and Training
The Beagle is a small dog breed that is bred for hunting hares. These dogs work as detection dogs for prohibited agricultural foodstuffs and imports as they have superior tracking instincts and a great sense of smell. Beagles are so determined and intelligent dogs. They are well known for their good temper, size, cute looks and lack of inherited health conditions like other breeds. The breed has its origin in Great Britain and is bred from several breeds like The North Country Beagle, Talbot Hound, The Southern Hound and the Harrier.
Traits of Beagle Dog
Other names: English Beagle
Dog Breeds Group: Hound Dogs
Male Weight: 22–25 lb (10.0–11.3 kg)
Female Weight: 20–23 lb (9.1–10.4 kg)
Male Height: 13–16 in (33–41 cm)
Coat: Short haired, hard coat of medium length
Color: Tricolor or white in combination with brown or brown/black & tan/tan
Lifespan: 12–15 years
Detailed Overview of Beagle Dogs:-
This dog breeds are small, hardy; compact are perfect companions for kids to older people. These are fun-loving dogs which like to be active and happy. But due to their hound instincts, they tend to be stubborn at times.
So it requires a lot of patience and various dog training methods to suit it perfectly for your family atmosphere. These dogs are known for their powerful sense of smell and often get excited if they smell any new or interesting scent.
These dogs are actually bred as a scent hound to track hares, rabbits and other small animals for hunters. Though these are extensively found in many homes, they still are being used as scent hounds in many countries including the US.
These are beautiful dogs with hazel or dark brown eyes and soothing expressions. Though they are determined and more focused on the food they are a happy, loving and outgoing dogs. They are specialized in 3 different vocalizations. a baying howl, a bark, and a half baying howl.
They get along very well with other dogs, animals, and people as they are pack dogs. Beagle literally treats everyone as his new best friend and is always seen with its head down to the ground in search of something interesting to follow.
They are great at picking up various scents as they have 220 million scent receptors while a human has only 5 million receptors. Beagles suit perfectly well for all kinds of weathers and they can stay in apartments and condos.
Highlights of Beagle Dog
- Crate training is very much essential for dog breeds like Beagle. It is said that they are very difficult to housetrain. And take at least a year to fully train this dog.
- Beagles should not be left alone at home and backyards for too long. They usually find some or the other way to amuse itself by digging, howling and trying to escape.
- Beagles howl and bark a lot which may not go down well with many owners and their neighbours. So proper training, when he is still a puppy, is highly recommended.
- Supervise your Beagle as they are frequently targeted by thieves who steal and sell to research laboratories for various kinds of experiments. Get a microchip inserted to your Beagle puppy to get back if it was stolen.
- Always keep a track on your beagle as they tend to forget the world whenever they sense a strange or an interesting smell. Their noses literally control their brains.
- Obedience dog training is a must for Beagles due to their stubborn and determined nature. However, they are great and loving pets who give an excellent companionship.
- If given a chance, Beagles try to overeat which may cause health issues like obesity. To monitor the amount of food you give to your pet.
- Teach your children to be very cautious when Beagle is eating its food. The dog can be aggressive or may bite if it is teased or approached while eating. They are very serious about their food. Beagles are not good at guarding and protection as they are friendly with anyone he meets the first time.
Beagle Dog Breed Care:-
Make sure you approach a good and reliable Beagle dog breeder before you buy these dog breeds. It should be free from all genetic and other possible diseases, so that you can live an easy life with your pet.
- Get clearances for diseases like Intervertebral Disk Disease, Hip Dysplasia, Glaucoma, Cherry Eye, Distichiasis, Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA), Hypothyroidism, Epilepsy, Patellar Luxation, Chinese Beagle Syndrome (CBS) and Beagle Dwarfism etc. before adopting a Beagle puppy.
- Make sure your backyard is fenced well as Beagles tend to escape if they find any new scent.
- Beagles are wanderers by instinct. So make sure he is microchipped and always tie identification tags on his collar to get it back.
- Give your beagle a good obedience dog training that includes positive reinforcement methods.
- Wait at least for 18 months before you take your Beagle for a jog and make them do various exercises.
- This breed is more prone to obesity, so feed a limited amount of dry food and regular exercise him to get rid of various diseases.
- Beagles daily amount of food is 3/4 to 1.5 cup of top quality dry dog food in the morning and evenings. Contact your vet to assist you about their diet based on their age, size and activity levels.
Beagle Dog Breed Training:-
In the process of training your Beagle, you and your dog develop a good mutual bond that stays for its lifelong.
- Beagles are bit tough to train as they are bit stubborn and follow their own mind. But they are intelligent enough to learn new things perfectly.
- The ideal time for dog training your Beagle is the moment it arrives at your home.
- These dog breeds respond great to all positive and reward based techniques rather than violent training methods which ultimately increase its stubbornness levels.
- Teach him all commands like stay, sit down, stand, move and heal etc.
- Enrol in a dedicated and reliable training program to give the best training to your Beagle.