English Mastiff Dog Breeds History, Traits, Health Care and Training
English Mastiff Dog Breeds are a big dog breed that is believed to have descended from the ancient Pugnaces Britanniae and Alaunt. They are large dogs with a massive head, size with a black mask. These dogs are very gentle, loving and are known for contributing for the development of various dog breeds like Mastiff type of dogs. Though the modern type of English Mastiffs dog breeds is being refined from 1880, their ancestors are traced back to the early nineteenth century.
Vital Statistics of English Mastiff Dog Breeds:-
Other names: Mastiff and Old English Mastiff
Male Weight: 150 to 250 pounds (68 to 113 kg)
Female Weight: 120 to 180 pounds (54 to 82 kg)
Male Height: 30 inches (76 cm) minimum
Female Height: 27.5 inches (70 cm) minimum
Coat: Fine, smooth
Colour: apricot-fawn, fawn, silver-fawn or dark fawn-brindle
Lifespan: 7 to 12 years
Read More:- Doberman Dog Info
Detailed Overview of English Mastiff Dog Breeds:-
This is one of the most ancient dog breeds whose ancestor is the Molossus which existed 5000 years ago. Today English Mastiffs dog breeds are gentle and kind dogs, but their ancestors used to ferocious war dogs. This makes a perfect pet and companion for humans if they have enough space to accommodate their giant body. No other breed comes close to this breed in massiveness and weighs about 220 pounds. This breed holds the record of weighing 323 pounds in Guinness Book of World Records. Though it appears to be fierce, they have a good temperament to be with. It will step up to protect its family had it sensed any threat from a stranger or intruder.
In earlier years of this big dog breed, they used to fight wars against lions and wild animals. These are very courageous, kind and dignified and as they mature they tend to be quiet and calm who loves spending more time with his people. Owners who have children should keep an eye out for an English Mastiff as they may unintentionally bowl them or bump into them. Even though one feels it requires lots of space in the backyard, English Mastiffs actually like to stay indoors with his family. They want to be your lap dog. This dog breed requires dog training and lots of exercises and physical activity to keep fit and healthy.
Highlights of English Mastiff Dog Breeds:-
- If an English Mastiff shakes their heard, drool flies all around your home. So if you own this dog, make sure you keep hand towels or baby wipes nearby.
- These dogs are flatulent. This problem can be controlled by a suitable diet that produces less gas.
- English Mastiff snores a lot. A snoring dog in a room sounds like an Elephant sleeping inside the room.
- These dogs need daily activity and exercises based on their age. But make sure that the temperature is not so hot as this breed can overheat very easily.
- Without proper exercise and mental stimulation, this dog can become destructive and bored.
- This big dog breed usually has a short lifespan due to their huge weight. But some dogs have lived up to 18 years of age. So proper maintenance of their health can increase their lifespan.
- It is advised not to buy an English Mastiff if you have kids or older people who are not steady. The reason is they can easily knock down a person if he is unsteady.
- Though they are suited for Apartment and Condo living, they definitely need a big yard to play around.
- Dog training is a must for English Mastiff as they can bite if not socialized properly. They tend to be fearful of new people and situations easily if left untrained.
- Mastiff sheds a lot of hair. So be prepared with a good vacuum cleaner if you are going to adopt this dog.
- These dogs are excellent watchdogs, quiet, self-assured and well mannered. They snort, snore and grunt very loudly.
- Like any other breed, Mastiff is meant to live inside your house, not in your backyard. Otherwise, they become very destructive.
Read More:- Pug Dog Info
English Mastiff Dog Breeds Care:-
- If you are planning to buy an English Mastiff, find a genuine breeder who can show you all the health clearances for both the puppy and its parents. These dogs are generally healthy but are prone to various health conditions like Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA), Hip Dysplasia, Cystinuria, Seizures, Gastric Torsion (Bloat), and Cancer etc.
- English Mastiff is very lazy. So be sure it gets lots of exercises and training at least for 20 to 30 minutes every day to avoid obesity and other health conditions.
- These dogs adapt very well to any city, country, and environment. But they are best for homes with a fenced yard.
- Don’t make you dog jog or run as they put lots of pressure on its joint. It is recommended to take it for walks in the mornings and evenings. Also, limit long walks, jumping and other exercises for your puppy for 18 months as their tendons, muscles, and bones are still in developing stage.
- Crate training is very much recommended to big dog breed like Mastiff as they are very excited and curious about everything and may damage your belongings. Also, dog training is important to control their bladder and bowels. It should be taught what to chew and what not to, as they tend to chew anything they find it interesting.
- It is recommended to give at least 6-8 cups of top quality dry food depending on its age, metabolism, size and activity levels.
- Always keep your dog clean and tidy by combing its hair, brushing its teeth and bathing it once a week. Always keep tissues or a cloth nearby to clean the drool from their mouth.
English Mastiff Dog Breeds Training:-
- Obedience dog training is a must for this giant dog as they become unmanageable if not trained. Get your puppy trained as soon as it arrives at your home, as it is much easier to train when he is a puppy rather than an adult dog.
- Train your English Mastiff by using positive reinforcement techniques that use food rewards and praises to encourage their effort and learning.
- Start with basic obedience classes like sit, stand, stop etc. and ensure that your pet is reacting positively and appropriately in any given situation.
- A swipe of its tail can clear your flower vases and things on your coffee table. So it is important to teach how to behave at your home without breaking anything.
- By obedience teaching this big dog breed, the bond between the owner and dog improves a lot and stays with you forever.