Labrador Retriever Dog Breeds History, Statistics, Care & Training
The Labrador retriever Dog Breeds is the most popular dog breeds in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom. Labrador is a type of retriever gun dog which is commonly used for disability assistance in many countries. They are trained to help people with autism, aid the blind, perform screening and detection work for law enforcement, act as a therapy dog and are used for various official agencies. These best dog breeds are also used for hunting and sporting activities. The ancestors of Lab are originated on the Newfoundland Island, Canada, and the founding breed is said to be St. John’s water dog of the Newfoundland Island in the 16th century.
Read More:-Australian Shepherd Dog Breeds
Vital Stats of Labrador retriever Dog Breeds:-
Other names: Labrador
Common nicknames: Lab
Foundation stock: St. John’s water dog
Origin: The United Kingdom and Canada
Male Weight: 65–80 lb (29–36 kg)
Female Weight: 55–70 lb (25–32 kg)
Male Height: 57–62 cm
Female Height: 55–60 cm
Coat: Black, yellow or chocolate.
Litter size: 5–10 puppies.
Lifespan: 12–13 years
Detailed Overview of Labrador Dog Breeds:-
Read More:-Chihuahua Dog Breeds
Labradors Dog Breeds are the best dog breeds that were mainly bred to be both a useful working dog and a friendly companion to humans. Historically, this breed was used to help fisherman in fetching ropes, hauling nets, and retrieving fishes. But today it is being used in many more activities and is as good-natured and hard working as his ancestors. Labrador retriever Dog Breeds is the most popular breed in the USA. These are extensively used to provide help for handicapped, for search and rescue and as a retriever for hunters. These warm and intelligent dogs are recognized almost by anyone and are known for their loyalty and patience. Labrador has an athletic and muscular body. It has smooth and short coat with lots of energy, friendly demeanor etc.
Devotion has a special place in their hearts and they are mostly loving and caring for their masters and are always ready to serve their families. Unlike olden times when it was used for tough jobs, now labs are spending their lives by being loved and pampered by the people. However many labs are still being used to serve as working dogs. Their sweet and lovely nature makes it an excellent therapy dog which can be very helpful for older people and hospitals. Their outstanding intelligence makes them a perfect companion for handicapped. With their strong nose, athletic build and courageous nature they excel as a retriever for hunters and are very helpful in search and rescue operations even in rough environments. They also do a good job at obedience and agility competitions. However, they are considered as hopeless to be a watchdog as they even welcome any intruder with their sweet and friendly nature. Overall they are a wonderful friend and one among the best dog breeds as human companions.
Highlights of Labrador retriever Dog Breeds:-
- Labs love to eat a lot and become fat very quickly if their diet is not restricted. One has to take special care in limiting their treats and give them lots of physical exercises every day. They even eat inedible items, people’s food and like to chew children’s toys and even forage in the garbage.
- As they are bred especially for physically demanding jobs, they have lots of energy to be used. If you have a lab as a friendly companion you need to make sure it gets at least 1 hour or exercise a day. If not they tend to pent-up all their energy through chewing and barking.
- Though they appear as if they do not need any training, like any other breeds, Labrador retriever Dog Breeds should be taught obedience and good canine manners. You can start its training as soon as you bring a Labrador to your home.
- Though appearing to be hyperactive, labs are moderately lively and active throughout their lives. As they ages, their activeness slowdowns a little bit.
- Labs are also known as escape artists. So one has to make sure these best dog breeds get identification tags and microchips.
Read More:-Pomeranian Dog Breeds
Dog Care for Labrador retriever Dog Breeds:-
Like all best dog breeds, Labs are also prone to many diseases if we are not careful about choosing the dog and maintaining it.
- Get a lab from a trusted breeder who shows the dog is completely free from genetically passed diseases and various health conditions like Hip Dysplasia, Elbow dysplasia, Epilepsy, Osteochondrosis Dissecans, Cataracts, Progressive Retinal Atrophy, Gastric Dilatation-Volvulus, Tricuspid Valve Dysplasia, Cold Tail, Myopathy, Acute Moist Dermatitis, and Ear Infections.
- As they have a huge appetite, one must feed it appropriately at regular intervals and provide plenty of fresh and clean water.
- To burn their calories and use up their energy, regular walking, jogging and various physical activities are a must.
- Groom your Labrador retriever Dog Breeds regularly to remove loose hair from its coat and remove natural oils and dirt that get sticks to his hair.
- Trim your lab’s nails and clean their floppy ears regularly. As they are prone to ear disease one must keep an eye for any excess or smelly discharge from its ear.
- Brush their teeth regularly and provide routine veterinary check-ups.
- Show him lots of love and attention they deserve.
- Provide him with lots of toys to chew and play.
- Get the proper training to strengthen the bond between you and your dog.
Labrador retriever Dog Breeds Training :-
Read More:-Bulldogs Dog Breeds
- Begin training your lab as early as possible to build a close relationship with it from the start.
- Make sure their training schedule is small and full of fun. Teach him basic things like sit, stand, run and its toilet times.
- Never beat or hit your dog in order to teach it something. Instead of learning it develops a fear of you.
- Reward their behaviour and accomplishments with his favourite treats. But make sure your reward giving is less predictable.
- Enrol your lab in an accredited dog obedience program if you cannot train your dog at home.
6. Make your Labrador retriever Dog Breeds practice the things he learned at the training program. Involve all your family members by using various commands it had learned so that it becomes very familiar with the commands as well as develop a good bond with everyone at home.