Poodle Dog Breeds History, Statistics, Health Care & Training
A poodle dog breeds is a group of dog breeds, Miniature Poodle, Standard Poodle and Toy Poodle. The origin of Poodle is not yet known and it is always discussed and disputed whether it was descended from Germany or France. It is ranked as the 2nd most intelligent dog after Border Collie. poodle dog breed is very skillful in various dog sports, activities that include obedience, agility, assistance dogs, circus performers and tracking to herding. They have taken top honors in shows like World Dog Show in 2007 and 2010 and at the “Best in Show” in 1991 and 2002.
Poodle Dog Breeds Vital Stats:-
Other names: Pudelhund Caniche
Dog breeds group: Companion dogs
Origin: Believed to be from Germany or France.
Weight: 45 to 70 pounds
Height: 1 foot, 10 inches
Lifespan: 12-15 years
Read More:- Boxer Dog Breeds
Read More:- Chihuahua dog Breeds
Read More:- German Shepherd Dog Breeds
Detailed Overview of Poodle Dog breeds:-
Poodles are impressive dogs that are very clever, proud and elegant. The breed is famous for their best-in-show winner title in various dog competitions. They are full of talents and are affectionate family dogs. Although present-day Poodles are enjoying a life full of luxuries, these are actually bred to do various jobs. They work as water retrievers to help hunters by jumping in the water to collect waterfowls. The breed got the name poodle after German words pudelin or pudel which means to splash in the water. And in French language it is known as Caniche which means a duck dog. The breed which is known for having elaborate coat styling actually had a practical reason. It is trimmed to lighten the weight of coat and avoid snagging on underwater debris. And the long hair around vital organs and joints are for protecting the Poodle from the cold water. And still some poodles are bred for their traditional work as a water retriever.
These dog breeds have a dignified personality, are playful and intelligent. When it comes to dog training, they always are merit students and excel at performance sports like agility, obedience and hunt tests. Poodles are family friendly dogs that always prefer to be with his family. They get sad and lonely when isolated for long periods. So make sure you don’t leave it alone for so long and always try to play a good game with it as they are up for it anytime.
Highlights of Poodle Dog breeds:-
- Dog training is a must for a Poodle. If left untrained or spoiled he ends up believing that he is the leader of the family. This nature is mainly observed in Toy and Miniature poodles. So be serious about teaching them good canine manners and obedience so that it understands that you are the leader.
- Due to their playful nature and intelligence, it is really important to get obedience training for your poodle to keep its mind sharp and active. A poodle that is thinking, playing and learning never gets bored. So dog training is the best to avoid his destructive ways to occupy himself.
- It is very important to keep your poodles coat healthy and beautiful. Most of the owners go to a professional groomer every 3 to 6 weeks. You can also learn how to groom it if you put some effort and time to learn it.
- Wipe the stains on your poodles face every day with a cloth dipped in warm water or with an alcohol-free pet wife. Reason being they always have weepy eyes which stains the surrounding hair.
- Poodles are very protective of his home and will alert his family members with a bark if he found a stranger approaching your house. Though they are affectionate with his family, it usually takes little time to befriend new people.
- They literally match their intelligence with humans. They are fast learners and it holds true for good and bad habits. Also, they remember everything. Many owners find hard to live with poodles because of their astounding smartness.
Poodle Dog breeds Care:-
Poodles are long living dog breeds and can lead their active life up to 10-15 years. If you want to purchase a Poodle make sure it is from a reputable poodle breeder. This way you can have a mentally and physically sound dog into your home. It’s a fact that the health of your poodle depends on the poodle breeder you have chosen. All the 3 Poodle varieties may suffer from Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA), Seizures, Hip Dysplasia, Cataracts, Mammary Tumors , Cushings Disease, Hypothyroidism, Von Willebrand’s Disease, Epilepsy and other Eye Disease. They also suffer from Addison’s disease, Gastric Dilatation-Volvulus, Legg-Perthes Disease, Patellar Luxation, Optic Nerve Hypoplasia, Sebaceous Adenitis etc. So make sure you get clearance for all these diseases from your breeder before deciding to buy a puppy.
The recommended amount of feed per day for your poodle is 1.5 to 3 cups of high-quality dry dog food. Divide it into 2 meals and feed them at the same time every day. However, the amount of diet depends on its age, size, activity level, build and metabolism. So feed it accordingly. Or you can take the help of your Vet. Take him out regularly for a walk or jog and try playing a variety of dog sports in your leisure time to burn its energy and maintain its body fat.
Poodle Dog breeds Training :-
Training with a Poodle is really fun. These are the best dog breeds that learn very quickly and have the intelligence and zeal to complete the training successfully. They remember everything perfectly as well. They love the mental and physical stimulation they get from obedience training. The training helps as a perfect outlet to channel their boundless intelligence and energy. They respond very well to positive and reward based dog training methods that are built on praise, encouragement, repetition and positive reinforcement. Make sure the training sessions are short and fun. Consistent training and working with their natural drives and instincts will train them in very little time.